I would like to thank Dr. Nicola Dibben, and at the later stages Dr. Renee Timmers, for your support and supervision of this project. I feel privileged to have received such valuable support and advice.
I would also like to thank:
– Dr. Dave Moore for help with developing the online surveys
– Dr. Richard Rowe for statistical input
– staff at the Institute of Work Psychology at Sheffield University, who have provided me with ideas for the field study and allowed me to pick their brains
– The Uppsala group: Prof. Alf Gabrielsson (for being my inspiration and my way into the world of music psychology), Dr. Erik Lindström, Prof. Patrik Juslin and Simon Liljeström
– Prof. Teresa Lesiuk, for allowing me to visit and providing invaluable support, feedback and advice
– Prof. Börje Stålhammar for discussing the depths of Grounded Theory
– Prof. Stig-Magnus Thorsén for sending me all your work via post
– Dr. Noola Brown, Dr. Victoria Williamson, Dr. Lucy Patston, Naomi Wing, Nick Carter, Frances Quinn, for academic support and advice at key stages during the project
– the music therapist in a small town in central Sweden who in 1995 inspired me to study the effects of music on well-being
Special thanks to family and friends in the UK and in Sweden, for encouragement and endless support through the years. Thanks to Cassius, my dog, for being such a good listener and reminding me to take frequent daily walks. Special thanks to Paul, my beloved husband, for always being by my side, patiently encouraging, supporting, and believing.
Sincere thanks to several hundreds of participants for sharing your experiences and allowing me to explore your sometimes personal listening experiences. Thanks to managers for allowing me to carry out the research in their organisations.
Lastly, thanks to some of the artists and composers who have ackompanied me occasionally while I have been working:
Fleet Foxes, Stina Nordenstam, Lisa Ekdal, Scarlatti, Sufjan Stevens, José Gonzalez, Mozart, Jace Everett, Gillian Welch, Ryan Adams, The Temper Trap, Delorean, The Dead Weather, Miike Snow, The Black Keys, Seasick Steve, Royksopp, MGMT, Kings of Leon, Sundays, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Portishead, Arcide Fire, Peter Bjorn and John, The Knife, The Beta Band, Carole King, John Martyn, Ellie Goulding, Beastie Boys, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Beck, Jeff Buckley, Nicolai Dunger, Damien Rice, Scott Matthews, Koop, Ed Harcourt…